Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ahhhh...the stress of awareness

I just had an interesting experience. I signed up some of my coworkers to receive Eating Coach blog email updates. Right now, I am very hyper aware that they will be reading what I write. Yikes! Now, isn't this kind of strange since I have been posting to this blog for better than a year? --I just celebrated my 300th post!  And I know you all having been reading and thinking about the posts (which I appreciate, by the way). So it really it shouldn't matter one way or another whether or not the coworkers are reading -- but in the back of my head, I feel exposed and want to be on my best behavior -- weird, huh??

So what about you? How easy would it be for you to be mindful if you sat down at a meal with me? Some of you have already experienced that when you attended a Mindful Meal -- most of the clients I have eaten with tell me they are much more aware of what they are eating because I am sitting across from

I don't think it was a negative experience to eat with me -- it think they were just more aware. That's good! When you're eating at a business function, sometimes it's about eating enough food to look social but leaving out the foods that are going to make it difficult to conduct that business over the meal. Again, it's an awareness.

It is much easier to cultivate mindfulness when you know others might ask you questions or be involved in your choices in some manner. We all like to have the correct answers on a test, right? But what happens when you're on your own and there isn't any accountability to others? --when you can eat the whole bag of chips on the couch during a Scrubs rerun and nobody is there to look cross-eyed at you?

This is when you have to set up for yourself. Understand that there are a million ways you can cheat or justifiy the mindfulness system.

No comments:

Post a Comment