Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Eating Integrity


You all know how much I LOVE Magpie's blog, right?? (She's the one that does the 8 things lists -- I do some of them too -- some of them I post and some I keep to myself)...Well, a couple days ago she had a guest blogger. Becky Knight is a Clinical Sexologist (once this was established in the opening paragraph --since I didn't know what a clinical sexologist did -- I was a little concerned about reading the post at work -- it would be a shame to get fired for reading a Magpie post gone wrong :)

As it turns out, Becky wanted to get readers thinking about how our guiding values (a subject of an earlier Magpie 8 things post)effected how we viewed our sexuality.

What you also know about me, is that I am all for exploring everyday decisions made on autopilot -- examining them to see if they are still working for me.

After reading Becky's post, I created my own list of 8 Guiding Principles listed below:

1. Beauty of life (look for it, embrace it, cultivate it)
2. Love
(grow it -- the world needs all it can get)
3. Peace (I am not world-wide ambitious -- I am talked about cultivating peace within myself -- if I am peaceful, it is more difficult for you to be in a crank -- if we all worked a little bit in this direction it might just change the world -- but the only thing I can do is do my part)
4. Grace
5. joie (things that make my heart sing)
6. Living out loud (not being afraid to make mistakes in my effort to live a full life -- what are the chances I am going to get it all right the first time I try, right?)
7. Carpe diem (this moment is all I am guaranteed)
8. Authenticity
and I couldn't resist adding just one more:
9. Fearlessness

If these are principles I am using to guide my life, shouldn't they be taken into consideration with my eating habits? Don't I want something that I do multiple times every day to support the principles I am using to guide my life? You bet!!

So...is being afraid to gain weight supportive of my guiding principles? NO.

Is worrying about how much fat is in my favorite risotto supportive of my guiding principles? NO.

Is beating myself up because I had to work through lunch today -- so I didn't get my workout in supportive? NO.

What about understanding that I am more able to do the work I love when I feel comfortable in my own skin? Yup.

What about enjoying my favorite fat-filled risotto but understanding that I can't eat the whole bowl in one sitting because it will upset my stomach -- and then accepting and acting on that thought? Yup.

What about understanding that I love the work I do and one workout more or less isn't really going to make that big of a difference one way or another -- I am in for the long haul? Yup. Yup.

If you won't treat yourself by the guiding principles, how true are you being to yourself? And how much is the world lessened by the way you treat yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment