Thursday, September 24, 2009

Getting to the root of what you need


Sometimes, when I talk about the the idea of mindfulness, it feels like people confused.

A while ago, I told you I was inspired to simplify the Eating Coach mantra to "Omit needless foods". But the question is: How? How do I decide what is needless for me? Is a batch of no bake cookies, made at 9pm on a weekday when the kids are in bed and I have no plans of taking the cookies to work tomorrow, needless? (the dilemma I was working through last night). Or maybe it is exactly needed -- since I have been craving no bake cookies for a week and haven't gotten a chance to make them yet.

The real point here is: show up for these decisions. The ship has sailed on the decision-making if I had been talking myself through this process at 9:05pm, standing at the stove stirring the melting butter and cocoa powder.

The goal is to live in the present moment! To be aware of what you are thinking, what you are doing, and what you are DECIDING to eat is imperative. Sometimes, eating cookies might be the needed thing to do -- BUT...how am I going to know unless I ask myself "Is this really needed?"

As it turns out -- no bake cookies were needless for me last night. Tonight, the answer to that question may be different. The important thing is to ask yourself and then listen for the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment