Monday, July 6, 2009

The Difference between Boredom and Hunger

How many times have you eaten only to realize (later – of course) that you weren’t really even hungry at the time – you were just bored? How many times have you eaten when you weren’t hungry, recognizing that you were bored, and eaten anyway?

Yesterday was then end of an unexpected (and wonderfully pleasant) 4th of July weekend. Unexpected – because instead of starting late in the afternoon of the 4th and ending with the fireworks, it started at the crack of dawn and ended the following evening at sunset. –with all of the outdoor fun and eating.

So this morning (10am- ish) when I could barely concentrate on my work because I was so hungry I couldn’t even think straight, I started to wonder – am I bored? Is this really hunger? What is going on here?

Here is what I figured. I was hungry! Starved, in fact. I don’t know why. It doesn’t make sense. Sure, I played outside all weekend but I ate too. I assume I ate about the same amount I always do. I don’t remember going for a long period of time being really hungry.

But here is the really important thing that I need to keep in mind:

It doesn’t matter why I am really hungry today – I just am. If I am willing to trust my body enough to respect its signals when I am full, I need to trust it enough to tell me when I am hungry, too.

Due to my schedule this morning, I didn’t eat until 12:30p but as time passed this morning, my hunger increased (sure sign it is physical hunger) and now (after lunch) I am able to sit down and concentrate. I am accomplishing tasks I was unable to complete this morning (due to my distraction) and I do not have a desire to seek out other kinds of food.

I am full (level 8.5 or possibly a 9) which is more full than I usually like to be. But, it is a risk I face when I duck out to get tacos from my favorite Mexican restaurant 

No comments:

Post a Comment