Thursday, October 22, 2009

He got it!!


Yesterday, I talked to someone who got the whole mindful eating concept. He was at a presentation of mine a couple weeks ago. He listened to my talk and couldn't believe it would be that simple to lose weight. But...he gave it a try. That night, on the way home, he really wanted a pizza. He picked one up and mindfully ate the first bite (was delicious), the second, the third ... by the sixths, he had had enough. He wasn't full -- the taste just wasn't there -- so he put the pizza down.

A couple days ago, I talked to two women who TOTALLY didn't get mindful eating. I explained what mindful eating entailed and the response was "I know what I can and can't eat -- I have that figured out". But, they spent a great deal of time at the vendor next to me who was selling detoxifying body wraps promising 2 inches of weight loss around your middle in 45 minutes.

***Seriously? How does that work? Let's say that it just takes half of a pound to lose 2 inches -- 1700 calories in a half pound. In 45 minutes, you would have to burn 39 calories per minute to lose that half pound/ 2 inches -- when I run, I hope to burn 10 calories per minute -- hhmmmm....

Anyway, so the women were not happy with their weight (if they spent that much time investigating the weight loss wraps) but they immediately shut down the idea of eating mindfully.

What is the difference between these two sets of people? (Aside from one made me smile the rest of the day and one just frustrated me more that I can express right here)

An open mind. A willingness to be in charge of their own life and not depend on others to lay down rules to follow. A spirit of curiosity and adventure to try something simple to see if it could be effective.

Yeh!! I love seeing a spirit of adventure and an open mind!! I am still smiling at his success.

No comments:

Post a Comment