Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Life is in the Doing

This afternoon I was giving some thought to how cool it would be to be a professional blogger.  Get to write all day -- surf the net looking for neat ideas to share.  Sit around in sweats and not worry about "punching a time clock".  So I gave this fantasy a little play time and then realized I really would enjoy that job but only for about a week.

Here's the thing though -- the internet is only so interesting.  Much of what I really love about life is found not just in the talking about thing but the actual doing of things.  Reading or watching golf is only so entertaining -- but once you try it, you either love it or hate it but it is entirely different that just thinking about it.

Much of what we talk about here comes from you.  My clients tell me stories, I read interesting studies that I think you might enjoy thinking about -- this is a forum to make connections.  The key to making connections useful and interesting is to see how they can be used in other areas of your life.  How can they improve your life?

Without the opportunities to make connections both with people and with information, my life would be less interesting and I would be less effective in the "doing" end of things.

So how about you?  How do you use this blog?  Are you one of the people who reads and finds it interesting but then shrugs it off as you put the first coffee mug of the day in the sink?  Or are you one of those people who is using this to jump start your conversations about eating with yourself and others?

I will absolutely keep you if you're here just to think about things and lightly try them out.  What I hope, though, is that you are talking about your eating habits and patterns of mindfulness with people whose opinions matter to you.  That is one of the reasons I love this forum -- you can share your thoughts/victories/ and seeming defeats with the rest of us and expect to get support, encouragement and a fresh set of eyes focusing on the issues.

Keep talking, keep thinking, keep making those connections -- both with information and with people.  Mindfulness comes from deliberately paying attention to what is going on around you so that you can act on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment