Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Why a Coach?


In yesterday's post, I commented that I am a coach not an expert. Perhaps that needs a little expanding.

Wikipedia describes coaching as: ...(a) method of directing, instructing and training a person or group of people, with the aim to achieve some goal or develop specific skills.

This is the way I approach clients. I work with clients. I work for clients. It is not about my imposing my will or expertise ON clients. You know what feels right and what feels comfortable for you -- you are the best expert of you. True, as a coach, I will ask you to step out of your comfort zone from time to time but not so far out that when you turn around you can't even see it.

So I am a coach. I guide and listen, direct and instruct. We negotiate changes. I challenge you and provide accountability. It's a give and take relationship. One that, when it works, gives you the tools and support to make changes you can live with and be content -- hopefully more content than when you came to me in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment