Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Fun in a box

I was having lunch with a friend from high school - just getting re-aquainted. Some how we came around to the subject of contentment -- what it takes to be content in this world. She described herself as being able to have fun in a box -- meaning she does not need a lot of "stuff" to be content.

Since that lunch, months ago, I have kept that phrase and reused it to describe myself. Yup, it's true, I can have fun in a box.

Fast forward to a working lunch with another friend. I was telling her about a project I have just dreamed up and it occurred to me...I can have fun in a box but it is very hard to maintain a decent amount of enthusiasm for a new project all by myself in that box.

When I get excited about a new creative exploit (whether or not it eventually comes to fruition), I like to share the idea with others. This does a couple things for me:
1. I get to hear their thoughts and brainstorm with them
2. If they get excited or at least moderately enthusiastic about the idea, that feeds my creative energy levels.

When I have to do without the enthusiasm of others, it makes the creative exploit seem more mundane and harder to sustain. More like work...less like an adventure. I am more likely to burn out.

Is your weight loss like that? If you lose weight in a box, does it make it harder to sustain? Might you need to get out of your box and find a tribe to be enthusiastic for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment