Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Quick head check

We are almost done with the holiday eating season. How are you feeling about your eating?

Here's what I want...I want you to really think about this question. I want you to verbalize your answer -- either write it out or take the time to put your thoughts into words in your head. I don't want you to just read the question and then move on under some vague set of uncomfortable feelings.

So, seriously, how are you feeling about your eating?

Do you feel in charge of your decisions?

Do you feel like you are running here and there, eating and eating things you don't really want? (Honestly, this is the way I have spent some of my holiday time)

How do you feel physically? I would expect a good many of you are like me and have eaten much differently in the last couple weeks than you do normally, with regards to the kinds of food you are eating. How are those types of foods effecting you? (I am feeling sluggish and off -- too much sugar floating around in my blood stream, I expect. I feel like I should get out and move just to burn off the sluggishness I feel).

Body's react to different foods in different ways. My experience will not directly match your experience but the important part is for you to understand your experience. If you take time to think about how you are feeling, you will know what kinds of foods make you feel good and the ones that make to feel subtly less good.

You will be able to see the situations that cause you to slide into the mode of eating just because the food is there. You will see the people you eat with who help you be more in charge of your eating behaviors.

Once you know these things, being more mindful in the present moment becomes easier because you can plan ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment