Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Hungry....


We talk a lot about what not to eat. We get rewarded for what doesn't go into our mouths. But every once in a while, I like to put the reminder out there.....

Mindful eating is about understanding and respecting both when you are full (the usual emphasis) but also when you are hungry.

Case in point:

The other day, I was back at my fav Mexican restaurant for tacos and chips. I started the trip over by asking "Am I physically hungry or just bored?" The answer was a resounding "I am PHYSICALLY hungry".

When I got there, I ordered my usual (minus the Coke -- there will be Coke aplenty at upcoming events -- plus, one of my daughters just launched into an infomercial like schpeal about the effects of soda acid on teeth ... thus positive peer pressure to nix the soda). The usual is 2 tacos -- one veggie and one chicken. They deliver the little basket of chips and the fresh salsa while I wait -- yum!

The tacos got there pretty quick and they were delicious! When I finished the last bite of the second taco, I was still physically hungry! I don't know why -- it was weird and unnerving. Usually that much food is either perfect or too much -- I have never had it be too little.

There were still some chips left in the basket. I could have eaten those but they really didn't sound great. I wanted another taco. After a little debate (and time to see if the fullness signals kicked in) I ordered and ate another whole taco.

I don't know what was up with that whole situation but I can assure you I was hungry.

It sometimes takes a strong desire to look past the immediate gratification of eating to lose weight but if you are losing weight mindfully, you need to be prepared for the odd increases in hunger that sometimes happen. I am not telling you you should eat the third taco all of the time -- just be aware of what your body is telling you so you don't spend the afternoon searching for food and wondering what is wrong with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment