Friday, April 23, 2010

Do something Friday


The power of one thing....

This was the advice my Tai Chi instructor gave me the other day. I was asking him how he promotes his classes and he said when he feels like he needs to increase the number of classes he teaches per week, he does one thing a day -- whether it is dropping information off at a new fitness facility or nursing home or making a call he has been intending to make....one action per day.

He has found that if he does this for about a month, he gets the offers to teach he is looking for.

So, I have been trying to find greater opportunities to teach EC classes. I decided to take up the one action challenge. Here's what I have found:

I have to journal -- in the morning and in the evening. It is easier to do the one thing if I have a plan for what it is going to be. Life is busy and to think on the fly doesn't always work well -- if I have a direction for the day, there is more of a chance I will complete the action.

Journaling in the evening allows me to say I did it (gold start for me!!) or not (regroup, reassess and make a plan for the next day). I am only 15 action days into the experiment -- I don't have more classes yet -- but I have made some contacts that might lead to more classes.

What I have really noticed is that I some days I am doing more than one thing because the opportunity presents itself and I am paying more attention to the one thing goal. I am becoming more mindful of seeing the opportunities to talk about Eating Coach to people that might be interested.

Here's the thought for you: If you are struggling to be mindful all day -- set it aside for a while. Concentrate on doing one mindful something per day. Whether it is eating your piece of toast sitting down and tasting it or drinking the first four sips of coffee with your full attention. It doesn't have to be the same thing each day -- just pick something, write it down, and do that one thing. Each day you will learn something new -- what works and what doesn't. Learn the areas that are easier to make changes in.

I expect what you will find is you will start seeing more opportunities to be mindful during the day. And because you aren't overwhelmed with a huge mindfulness plan -- you will have time and energy to taste (or put down)whatever it is that you have noticed.

Before you realize it -- mindfulness will become a growing habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment