Monday, September 13, 2010

I hate to admit how behind the times I am....

But to make my point, I guess I am going to have to. 

This weekend I rented the movie, Julie and Julia.  It has been out long enough that it is now on the 5 day rental wall at my video store and my mom has been after me to see it for months and months!

It was a lovely story!  A woman gets stuck in her life -- unsatisfied in her job and not feeling like she is moving ahead -- and cooks her way through Julia Child's cookbook while the movie parallels the two women's lives.  Lovely, lovely movie.

Here's one of the things that struck me though...did you notice (if you have seen the movie) how both of the actresses portrayed their characters eating?  They REALLY experienced the food!!  And sure, you can say this is just a movie and they are just actors pretending to experience the food.  But somehow, I just can't see either of these women scarfing down waxy, gas station chocolate just to the get food fix because they were stressed. 

Are you experiencing your food?  Are you being blown away by what you are eating?  If not, why are you eating it?  Habit?  Because it's there?  Because you weren't being mindful?  You had to eat it because there weren't any other options and you were hungry?  ---but the question still remains, did you experience it? 

And if you did....what was that like?  Post a comment and share with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment