Monday, September 20, 2010

Women Food and God....

So....did you do it?  Did you buy the book?  Are you reading right now so we can talk about it?  Not only did I buy a copy and then blog that you should buy it too because I am getting so much out of it --- I am getting so much out of it that I went down this weekend and bought another copy and gave it to a friend.  My hope is that she will read it and help her kids from following down the same path.

What makes this book so good, you ask?  My favorite part so far, you ask? 

What has struck me so far was the author's nice sized rant on how we should never underestimate our urge to bolt.  I like the word choice -- it indicates something other than a planned change of direction or a coordinated decision act in a different manner.  Bolting is like running out of the house with my hair in curlers, housecoat a-flappin', arms over my head flaylin', looking like a complete mad woman without even two brain cells to rub together.

Outside of the fact that I don't own a set of curlers (or a housecoat -- do they even make those any more?)  -- you get the image of me bolting, right?  Bolting is a reaction we use to get us back to where the world is comfortable after things get too tough on our chosen path.  Bolting back to comfortable behaviors is what we do when changing our eating (or dealing with our personal baggage) gets too hard.  We chuck off the dead-weight of our good intentions and run back to what feels comfortable (even if it is the eating behaviors that got us to our unhappy weight) housecoat a-flappin'.

So, what's the author's suggestion on dealing with the urge to bolt?  (you mean besides never underestimating the power of that urge?) --- go get the book!  Then we can talk!

2 comments:

  1. Have loved read and loved all of her other books and bought this book a while back. So looking forward to finally starting it this weekend (finally!). It sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, Diane!! Please share you thoughts as you read!! I was blown away by the insights the book gave me.

    ReplyDelete