Friday, March 26, 2010

Do Something Friday -- Go for Quality


There are certain quality merits to everything. What I think is top notch might not do the job for you and vice versa. For example: There are people out there that really enjoy the taste of the waxy chocolate of inexpensive Easter Bunnies. They seriously enjoy them -- not just endure them!

I, on the other hand, can safely and happily never eat a piece of that kind of bunny and still live a satisfied life. But...some of the wines I love make my wine snob friends, cringe. We all like different stuff.

Going for quality means your personal quality. I don't have a favorite potato chip -- when I am in the crunch and salt mood, almost any brand will make me happy. Not true for certain crackers. I don't care what you say, a Cheez Nip is in no way as good as Cheez-Its. I am not going to waste calories on a seriously inferior snack cracker!

If I am going to spend calories on ice cream, I want it to be great tasting full-fat ice cream. The creamy texture and richer flavor (that obviously is the result of a high fat content!)is what makes eating ice cream rewarding to me. Low-fat ice cream? Forget it -- I pass.

The point here is: calories are calories are calories. A person gains weight from eating too many calories -- not calories from a certain macronutrient.

What do you find rewarding about your favorite food? What is it about the taste, texture, temperature, smell that makes you willing to go to great lengths to get this food?

If you can answer this question about your favorite food, then start giving it some thought as you start to put the next food item in your mouth -- what will be rewarding about this eating experience? Just listen to the answer you give yourself -- you might be surprised at what you learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment