Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I found this video the other day when I was looking for some inspirational content for the Borgess Athletic Performance blog.  It's entitled "How bad do you want it? (success).

I debated about posting the link to the video here -- not because there is anything wrong with the video content but mostly because the footage is all about athletic performance and sometimes that causes a person who is really interested in weight management to shut down on a idea because they don't immediately see the connection between the two.

For me, I think the force that drives someone to the Olympics or into an NFL career is the same one that drives a person to lose weight and maintain their weightloss.  Drive, determination, desire and the ability to never let yourself quit -- this is what I see these two groups have in common.

And this is what the short film is about.

The question for the day (as posed in the movie) is:

Do you want to succeed as much as you want to breath?

And for most of us, the answer (and rightfully so) is "No". 

No.  I don't see weight loss as THE SINGLE most important aspect of my life.  My kids, my family, my friends, my work, my.....are a higher priority than my weight management.

And I don't think you should change your priorities.  What I'm going to ask you to do is give yourself a break!  Don't expect first priority results from 10th priority effort.

I know when you're actively engaged in making weight management decisions, it seems like you are putting a lot of work into the whole process so you have a right to expect amazing results -- but if you take a look back with some perspective, I bet you'll see how much time you AREN'T actively working on your weight managment.

It isn't (and for most of us shouldn't be) as important as breathing (or our kids or spouse).

Have some compassion for yourself.  You're working on it (actively sometimes -- like when you make your lunch selections) or passively (like when you're reading this post).  The weight will come off.  It's probably going to take longer than you want it to but it will happen.

Just don't quit because you're expecting one thing but working toward another.

No comments:

Post a Comment