Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Silly thoughts

So my mom sent this to me the other day:

I don't know WHY I didn't figure this out sooner I use shampoo in the shower! When I wash my hair, the shampoo runs down my whole body, and printed very clearly on the shampoo label is this warning:

"FOR EXTRA BODY AND VOLUME"

No wonder I have been gaining weight! Well! I have gotten rid of that shampoo and I am going to start showering with Dawn dish soap instead. Its label reads

"DISSOLVES FAT THAT IS OTHERWISE DIFFICULT TO REMOVE."

Problem solved!

Funny, right?  And we all know it's a joke.   There's no way changing up which soap is running across your body is going to solve a complex issue like the multitude of behaviors and neurochemical processes that work together to cause us to gain weight.

And yet....

Isn't the joke the exact same idea behind the thinking that goes into picking a diet/weight loss plan???

Does any diet address the environment, social, biochemical, physiological aspects to our weight?  NO!

You know how all of those things are addressed?  By chipping away at the aspects of our behavior that don't support our health....everyday....until we die (or can live at the weight we are).  There are no quick fixes.  Even bariatric surgery fails (in the long-term) more(much more) than it succeeds.

You know why?  Because people are trying to get what they want without changing their behaviors in the long-term.  Because they can't reconcile that they need to eat less and move more.  Less sugar.  More veggies.  Less processed "food" and more cooking.  Less eating out and more eating at your own table.

There is no quick fix -- don't get sucked into trying to live a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment