Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What is it that drives people to change?

Why do some people succeed?  I was watching a person train with one of our trainers today.  This client has made dramatic changes in his appearance since he started working with this trainer.  He didn't have a big exercise history to draw on.  His diet choices had lots of room for improvement.

Sounds like a lot of people, right?  Maybe even you.  What made his so special that he could make these changes?

Maybe one day he woke up and said "Enough!  This isn't working."  How many times have you said that yourself?

But I think the really important part of what he did came next -- he actually put his money where his mouth was and DID SOMETHING TO PROPEL (compel?)  HIM TO CHANGE.  In this particular case, he hired a coach.

And the last step (and another one that is critical) -- he hasn't let himself off the hook.  He hasn't let himself decide it's too hard or he's too tired or something else has a long-term priority.  He took the option of quitting off the table. 

If there's no option to quit, there's no arguing with yourself.  It's just who you are and what you do.

That, I think, is the real key -- when there become no other viable options you do what you need to do.

1 comment:

  1. I completely relate to this post; it sounds exactly like myself....and my diet choices STILL have a lot of room for improvement.

    I can say that a trainer is the BEST decision I ever made. Having someone there to push me to do more than I think I can has made all the difference. Not to mention the accountability of having someone there to ask how the days not working out with them went.

    I fully recommend hiring a trainer...and the "finally fit" program makes it affordable....I just had to cut out a night or two of eating out....and that in itself is NOT a bad trade off!

    ReplyDelete