Thursday, March 3, 2011

Maybe it's time for a perspective change

I was in need of inspiration.  Honestly, it's not easy to come up with blog ideas for mindful eating day in and day out.  Normally, when I need a creative spark, I just flip though my reading list of blogs (almost none of them are about mindful eating) and something will shift my perspective to see mindful eating in a new way.

Today (if we go by my blog list), the only thing happening in the whole world is the TED2011 conference and Steve Jobs getting up to receive a standing ovation.  -- trust me, this must be all that's happening in the world because I scrolled through 100 posts from various blog sites and that is ALL anyone is talking about.

And then it hit me:  That's not all EVERYONE in the WHOLE WORLD is talking about.  It's just that these are the topics that my most proficient bloggers are writing about today.  You know, the ones who talk the most.

And then it hit me: this is a good representation of weight loss.  --It can be all consuming because when we are dealing with our eating behaviors it seems like food is all we think about and all anyone else is talking about. 

But that's not really true -- life goes on in any number of ways.  Perhaps, weight and what you chose to eat for dinner isn't the end all, be all topic it sometimes seems like it is.

Maybe, if we focus on dinner when we are sitting there tasting it, we won't need to worry about it when we get up from the table.  Maybe if we learn to differentiate physical hunger from the stress-induced reflex to eat, we wouldn't have to sweat our occasional piece of cheesecake.  Maybe if we paid attention to our eating when we are ACTUALLY eating (real time) -- we wouldn't have to think about it the other 23 hours a day.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment