Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Suspending disbelief

 If only I had a dollar for every time a person has asked me what they should be doing to lose weight and when I give them my answer (eat less) they tell me they already are.  OR...they only eat healthy options (like that really makes a difference to their weight -- obviously not if they are seeking advice from me). I wouldn't be quite a millionaire yet -- but I bet it would pay for a full year of college tuition!

The point is, we all like to be right.  And sometimes, we are more worried about being right than actually hearing a novel solution that someone might have to our problem (like spending your time working on mindful eating techniques).

Linda Stone writes "Everything we know, our strongly held beliefs, and in some cases, even what we consider to be “factual,” creates the lens through which we see and experience the world, and can contribute to a critical, reactive orientation. This can serve us well. For example: Fire is hot; it can burn me if I touch it. These strongly held beliefs can also compromise our ability to observe and to think in an expansive, generative way."

So one of the bigger question for me is:

Is the lens (or lenses) through which I view my life, causing me to react to the circumstances I find myself in

or

Are they giving me perspective enough to act on the circumstances I find myself in???

How about you?  Can you see your lenses for what they are?  Are they helping you or hurting you?

No comments:

Post a Comment