Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What's been on your mind this last month?

I just watched a quick video by Coach Dungy.  I liked the whole clip for it's message but what really jumped out at me is that he answered the question: What's been on your mind for the last month?

If someone asked you that, could you give them an answer?

...Quick...I am asking you -- What's been on your mind this last month?  What pops into your head?

Those answers represent your priorities for the last month.  Do you like what those priorities are?  Are they the ones you meant to have?  Or were they piled on you by the needs of others so your desired priorities were crowded out?

This month, in preparation for a seminar on Becoming a Life-Long Exerciser, I have been reading a book entitled 168 Hours - You have more time than you Think.  Because of this book, one of the things that has been on my mind is: how do I spend my time? 

This is important for a number of reasons:
1. How I actually spend my time is representative of my real priorities -- not the ones I wish I had.
2. I am getting ready to take on some new responsibilities in my professional life and (because time is finite) something else is going to have to give.

Ok, you're probably pretty similar to me -- this month you've probably thought about your health, family, friends, work related things --both good and bad, what to cook for dinner, etc.  But the real question is:

Do you have a focus?  If you're reading this blog daily, are you focusing on mindful behaviors for the rest of the day?  Do you commit to spending one week every month journalling your hunger and fullness levels?  Are you setting aside one lunch hour to eat by yourself with no distractions (fellow diners, email, a good book) so that you can really cultivate the habit of tasting what you are eating?

If you're not doing something deliberately, you are not going to get the results you're hoping for.  Hope doesn't create results -- Doing does.  Focus does.

What's are you going to focus on for the next month???

No comments:

Post a Comment