Friday, December 2, 2011

Do something Friday

photo credit: mayari
Have you ever used a gratitude journal?  In this season of want, want, want, buy, buy, buy -- a gratitude journal can offer an interesting moment of clarity on what is truly important to you.  It always amazes me what a difference it makes to actually write something down.  I may think I know what I would say but the process of committing something to paper is much more clarifying than just thinking it through in my head.

This weekend, pick up a pen and paper and take some time to write down what you are grateful for.  If you're anything like me, you will find there are lots of things to put on that list, both big and small.  But what I bet you won't find on that list is the afternoon snack, the ice cream in front of the TV or most of everything else you eat in the course of a day.

Don't misunderstand me, I am very grateful for having food to eat.  But that is very different than being grateful for the Snicker's bar that I picked up when I got gas.

The goal of this exercise is to give you a new tool to measure what you eat.  Is it something you need because you're hungry?  Is it something you want because it is sooooo delicious?  Or is it just something.....and therefore you think you should eat it?

No comments:

Post a Comment